Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

A Bit Greek

As I mentioned at the beginning of the month, I hosted a party for a wonderful organization in Denver--the Women's Bean Project. I purchased quite a few of their products, but had yet to use any of the dip mixes that I had picked up. If you aren't hosting a party, when do you really ever use a dip mix? I was craving something a little bit Greek, so I decided to make some Greek turkey meatballs. The Dillicious Dill Mix was just the thing to liven up our dinner. (You can purchase the dip mixes online, so you can enjoy this recipe too!)

Ingredients
Pitas
1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 leek
1/2 shredded zucchini
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
salt to taste
olive oil
1/2 packet Dillicious Dill Dip Mix
1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt

I used my food processor to crumble my bread, shred my zucchini and grind my turkey (in that order). The whole turkey breasts were less expensive than the pre-ground turkey.

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, zucchini and bread. Add the leeks and mix everything together.

Use your hands to mix the egg, salt and a little less than 1/4 of the dill dip mix into the turkey mixture. Once it is thoroughly mixed, form meatballs--smaller than golfballs.

Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Brown the meatballs on both sides, then place the entire skillet into your hot oven. Bake until cooked through--about 10 minutes.


While your meatballs are a'cookin', mix the rest of the dill dip mix with the yogurt. Spread the yogurt dip into pitas. We added some cucumbers and olives to our pitas. Once your meatballs are done, squeeze them into your deliciously full pitas. This could become a regular on our menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...