Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

EAT: veggie burgers

I’ve already admitted that I’m a veggie burger addict. And after months of making the recipe Courtney sent me* last fall, I think I am finally ready to share it. This is a big deal…

Corn and Two Bean Burgers:

2 T olive oil
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 c dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup corn (if canned, then drained)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large egg

For burgers, heat oil in a large skillet over med high.

Combine kidney beans and black beans in a bowl and partially mash with a fork. Add breadcrumbs, corn, onion and egg and stir until well combined. Add any spices you might want. FYI - I normally need more bread crumbs in order to get them to stick. Form into four to six patties. Add patties to pan and cook about four min on each side or until crisp and beginning to brown. If you’re making a large batch and freezing them, I prefer to freeze them raw, and then cook them later, but Courtney prefers to cook then freeze.

Also, I don’t do ketchup, but Courtney makes this Chipotle version for them. If you dare eat ketchup, I think this is the way to go…

For Chipotle Ketchup:
1/3 c ketchup
1 t honey
1 t lime juice
1/2 t chipotle chile powder
1/2 t cumin

Combine ingredients, add to burger, and enjoy!

*Are you noticing a pattern? Kind of a recipe thief…

Image via

4 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE veggie eater...but believe it or not I have never tried a veggie burger! This looks pretty good and I am actually getting burnt out on all the meat I cook for my husband..I need to switch it up a little and throw in some of these I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you 2 ever tried these on a grill? I'm still trying to find a good diy veggie burger that my fam will like and that won't fall apart on the grill. I love it that you both have success with freezing these though! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found the grilling works better when they are frozen. Also - you can just throw a piece of aluminum foil under them on the grill and it works pretty well! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mixed these up this morning to make for dinner tonight. Yum. Can't wait to try the chipotle ketchup. I make a similar veggie burger to these, but I use corn bread mix instead of bread crumbs (the Trader Joe's brand.) It adds a yummy sweetness to them. Excited to cook them up tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...