Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Resolution: Eat {week two}

When it comes to most things in life, you could say I'm habitual.  When it comes to my eating habits, you could say it, but it would be a vast understatement.

Last year, I ate a veggie burger with avocado, tomato, cheese, lettuce and pickles every night for dinner from January until July.  I just don't get bored with food (my wardrobe, on the other hand, is a completely different story).

However, this year, I've made it my goal to be more adventurous when it comes to cooking.  Since I got my own apartment, I've loved trying new recipes. I've tried quite a few new things with vegetables (i.e. spaghetti squash), but only once have I cracked open a cookbook.

In this new year, I'm going to get more creative with dinner, whether it be by trying a new meal entirely, or just incorporating one new item. Or even by cooking an old item a new way.

In the 10 days we've lived in 2011, I've already made some progress.

I learned how to blanch asparagus. I made sugar cookies with wheat flour instead of white. And, what I'm most proud of, is that I found a recipe on one of my favorite blogs for Ina Garten's Irish Soda Bread and made it the same day (from scratch!).

I even took creativity one step further and replaced the buttermilk with nonfat plain yogurt, and the currents for raisins. And it still tastes good!  I also removed the zest, but that was an executive decision based on the fact that I was running late, and didn't have any sort of tool to zest my clementines. And even still, it tastes good!

Beyond having yummy bread for breakfast (and dinner. Ok and for snacks), I experienced an unexpected added bonus of feeling so proud of myself. I've never even baked bread in a machine, let alone kneaded it on parchment paper!

This resolution is really off to a lovely start.

*Below are two photos of my bread. Probably not quite as pretty as Ina's but I'm taking this resolution one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...