Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Resolution: Eat {week three}

I love to cook. And, let's be honest, I love to eat good food. I am lucky to have a husband who appreciates the food that I whip up and is willing to do the clean up. At times, however, I feel like the cooking and clean up processes just take too long. Luckily, Courtney gave me a crock pot for Christmas. So, my resolution is to make faster, easier meals that are still quite tasty. And, yes, my crock pot is going to be my weapon of choice.

The other day I made an enchilada casserole in my crock pot (similar to my tamale pie). It turned out to be quite tasty. It's challenging for me to cook without tasting as I go. I didn't feel safe trusting that my crock pot would do its job, but it did. So, here's a recipe to toss into your crock pot. Let me know what you think if you try it!

Ingredients
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 chopped bell pepper (I used red)
1 cup frozen corn
3 tablespoons green chile (A vegetarian green chile is sold at costco. We use it in everything...eggs, bread, pasta sauce, tacos, etc.)
3 tablespoons salsa
A little salt

All of that goes into the crock pot. Cook on low for 4 hours.

1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded cheese
2 tablespoons green chile
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
Enough chicken of vegetable stock to wet all of the dry mixture

Mix all of the corn bread ingredients together. It should be about the same texture as corn bread batter typically is. Spread the corn bread mixture over everything in the crock pot. Cook for one more hour.
Serve with salsa or sour cream if that's your thing.
Eat it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...