Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

MAKE: Pom Wonderful

I've been a little obsessed with poms recently. I have seen them featured on numerous blogs and as decoration at parties. In planning my little one's nursery, poms just had to be a part of it. I followed these directions, but was inspired by this image. I plan to add more poms when our new baby is born--the colors will be determined by the gender. For now, I'm happy with my little green and yellow pom hanging alongside a blown-glass sculpture above our rocking chair. I think a few more poms or paper lanterns suspended next to them will be just the look I was going for.
There are a few things you should keep in mind if you make your own pom. It takes a lot of fabric! I keep reading that people use fabric scraps to assemble poms, but there was no way I had that many long scraps. I cut large pieces of fabric into strips. Sharp scissors are oh-so valuable when it comes to cutting the fabric away from the cardboard circle. You'll save yourself some frustration if you use sharp, small scissors. This is such a simple project--no sewing, no measuring--but it does take a bit of time.

While I love the look in a nursery, poms are not just for the kids. A garland of poms would be lovely at an outdoor party. I'm thinking different textures of white fabric hanging from a garland made of white or yellow ribbon. A series of lightweight poms hanging from a chandelier in a bedroom would add beauty and fun to the space. The tissue paper poms look more like flowers and would be lovely in their own way. Perhaps if this baby is a girl she will have a few flowers hanging from the ceiling. Would you add this whimsy to your space?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...