Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

PRAY: Homesickness

I have an awesome devotional by Sarah Young called "Jesus Calling."

A recent entry I read was as follows:

"Seek my face, and you will find all that you have longed for.  The deepest yearnings of your heart are for intimacy with Me.  I know, because I designed you to desire Me.  Do not feel guilty about taking time to be still in My Presence.  You are simply responding to the tugs of divinity within you.  I made you in My image, and I hid heaven in your heart.  Your yearning for Me is a form of homesickness: longing for your true home in heaven.

Do not be afraid to be different from other people.  The path I have called you to travel is exquisitely right for you.  The more closely you follow My leading, the more fully I can develop your gifts.  To follow Me wholeheartedly, you must relinquish your desire to please other people.  However, your closeness to Me will bless others by enabling you to shine brightly in this dark world."

This devotion struck me in so many different ways.

First, I was struck by how much trouble I have to be still in the Lord's presence.  I am such a "doer."  I have trouble being still at all.  And I think this is a discipline I need to work on in my walk with the Lord.  Just being consciously still with no media or chatter pouring into my life for five minutes a day and being still before the Lord can be so powerful.  And can center me in my walk so very much.

I was also struck by how much I aim to please others.  My daily goal should not be to please others, but to please the Lord. And in doing so, I will be serving others.

And thirdly, I was struck by how I am often homesick for our eternal home.  I adore my life here on earth, but there is so much heartache and sorrow here.  I truly long for the day when we are in a place with no tears reunited with our Maker.  What a beautiful day that will be!  I love that the Lord "hid heaven in our hearts."



What has challenged you to think more deeply about your faith recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...