Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

EAT: Chickpea Summer Salad

Last weekend, I went to St. Simons island, where I was expecting a fabulous beach weekend. While the weekend was fabulous, there was very little beach involved, as it rained the entire time we were there. 

When I got back Sunday, after a weekend of less than healthy eating, and less than summery weather, I was craving something light and fresh for the week. 

I made a very tasty garbanzo bean salad, which was Courtney's recipe. I've taken it for lunch every day this week and it has hit the spot - healthy, full of flavor, full of veggies and summer in my mouth. 

Use the vegetables you bought at the farmer's market last week to throw together your own batch. 

Ingredients:
Garbanzo beans
Corn
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Red pepper
Feta
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Balsamic Vinegar

Throw all of the vegetables in a large bowl, with proportions to your own liking. I prefer a lot of corn because it's my favorite base. I have also found that the crunch from the pepper adds a lot of zest - so I tend to go heavy on that as well. 

Add feta and spices to taste. I like to add Pepperman and Cayenne in addition, so feel free to spice things up as you see fit. 

Finally, add Balsamic Vinegar. If you're planning to eat it throughout the week, add more Balsamic than you think you need - the veggies and cheese soak it up, and when I opened my Rubbermaid container Monday, I found it to be much dryer than I expected. I had to add more to the rest of the batch. 

I also like to add some avocado the day of, as I like having one more texture and am a cado addict. It's definitely not required, but I highly recommend it.

Happy vegetable eating!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...