Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

'Tis the Season

I love the preparations that precede Christmas.



I adore the music.  I love the decorations.  I enjoy the celebrating.  I get so much joy in shopping for friends and family.

However, every year as December 25th approaches, I find myself trying to clear some of the clutter in my mind that accompanies the festivities and I consciously try to spend time to savor the true meaning of Christmas.

This year, a particular verse that has given me pause is Mark 10:21.  
It states: Jesus looked at him and loved him.  "One thing you lack," he said.  "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me."

Wow. That convicts and challenges me.  
Thinking of how much more we could do for the poor.  
How much less time I could spend thinking of materialistic things. 
How much more could my true goals be eternal and not of this world.

I am not confessing to have it all pulled together or to even be close.

But I do know as Christmas approaches, my prayer is that my focus is on Christ.  And even as we enjoy giving gifts this season, that we would look most forward to the amazing gift we will one day receive in eternal life with our Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...