Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Roses are red...

When someone walks into my home carrying a bouquet of flowers, I instantly feel lighter. It's like a breath of spring has wafted through the door--fresh, bright and hopeful. I adore having flowers in our home. For one summer season we received a bouquet of unbelievably beautiful flowers every week with our CSA. Since then, flowers have been a rare treat.

I was excited when my mother-in-law delivered a lovely bunch of daisies and roses to me when they visited two weekends ago. The flowers adorned our dining room table for over a week. Then, they started to look a little sad. The timing was unfortunate because I was preparing to host a little get-together and had hoped to have a pretty centerpiece.

I took action. Most of the daisies and roses had to go. The supporting cast members were given the lead roles. I separated the baby's breath into separate glass jars, and then placed a rose deep into the water in a drinking glass. My single vase of flowers was turned into a three part centerpiece. I think it's a pretty good alternative to tossing the flowers into the compost, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. When I was younger I used to use my allowance to buy fake flowers just because I often wanted to have tropical looking flowers in my room when they weren't in season.

    flowers are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this too! You're right, not all flowers age the same in a bouquet so I always end up divvying them up into smaller bud vases for a centerpiece. They look great!


    Just found your blog last week and love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...