Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A place to rest my head (board)

Do you live in an apartment? Are you surrounded with white walls? Do you have a bed on a frame without a headboard? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this is the project for you! It is an easy fifteen minute project with results that pack a punch.

Materials: 
Plastic frames with the glass and backing removed.
Several complementary fabrics
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks for your gun

I bought my frames from Big Lots. They are not high quality. They were each between a dollar or two. They are cheap plastic frames, which is all this project requires. You may even be able to buy the frames without the glass or backing.

Cut your fabric so it is approximately 2 to 3 inches wider and longer than your frames. Don't worry if your cuts aren't perfectly straight. The edges will be hidden.

Lay the fabric right side down with the frame on top of it--also right side down.

Begin glueing along the edges. Simply draw a line of the hot glue just inside the frame. Carefully adhere the fabric to the frame. You may need to hold it for a few seconds to ensure that it sticks. Just don't burn your fingers.

Fold over and glue the other two sides, folding the corners like you're wrapping a present.

Allow your glue to dry and you've done it!

Before I got married and lived in a house where I could paint the walls, I used a set of twelve of these as my headboard. It added color and height to an otherwise blah room. I used four different colors, patterns and textures of fabric that had a similar green tone. Now we have green walls! Through my own trial and error, I found that the best fabric to use for this project is lightweight without being see-through. The fabric above is flannel, but a light cotton would work nicely, as well. Let us know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...